Article 22 : 1981: Gigs, festivals and a change of lifestyle

This was the year it all came together for me. Whilst the first half was dominated by gigs, the second half was dominated by festivals and a decision that literally did change my life but let us not get ahead of ourselves, there was plenty in the first six months to enjoy.

1981年: ギグ、フェスティヴァル、ライフスタイルの変化


Having said that, I didn’t go to one single gig in January – just one of those months I suppose so my first of 1981 was Roy Wood’s Helicopters at Leicester University. It was a bit of a full circle moment as my first gig was Wizzard in 1973. Back then I was a 12-year-old school kid; now I was in the last throws of my teenage years with a couple of hundred gigs under my belt and a steady job and a growing autograph collection. This was added to this night when I tour down the tour poster from the entrance and asked the band to sign it backstage. Roy did as did the others who included ex-Renaissance bassist Jon Camp and David Byron Band guitarist Robin George. A couple of weeks later I went to Derby to see Iron Maiden on their Killer World Tour. The support band was the French band Trust whose drummer was Nicko McBrain.


March came and went without a gig (this was my last month without a gig until March 2020 when the pandemic started) but then April rolled around and Girlschool announced their tour to support the Hit And Run album. The venues were now theatres as opposed to big clubs, the size of their road crew had doubled and the original dozen BGA met people from all over the country who claimed to be members. Some of us felt a bit highjacked but it was good to see the girls achieve the success they deserved and they always welcomed us and put us on the guest list. It all made me want to see as many shows as possible so from the first night of the tour, the 14th, I saw nine shows in April with a further nine throughout May, top to bottom of the UK. April 28th was a great night on that tour as they played at DeMontfort Hall in Leicester and it happened to be Enid’s birthday. We bought her a bunch of roses and I was elected to present them to her onstage at the encore and it was during this tour where my job became irrelevant and I couldn’t care less about Marconi Radar. The seeds had been sown for my future.

3月はギグ無し(ギグ無しの月は、2020年のパンデミックが始まるまで、これが最後だった。)だったけれど、4月になるとガールスクールが『Hit and Run』のツアーをやるとアナウンス。会場は大きめのクラブではなく、劇場になり、スタッフの数も倍増。世界中のオリジナルの12人ほどのBGAも、メンバーだと言い張っていた。俺たちの中には自分たちの居場所を奪われたと感じるものもいたけれど、彼女たちが成功したことは良かったし、俺たちのことはいつでもゲストにして歓迎してくれたよ。とにかく多くのショウを見たくて、ツアー初日の14日から4月は9回、5月にもさらに9回、イギリス中をついて回った。4月28日は素晴らしい晩で、彼女たちはレスターのDeMontfort Hallでプレイし、たまたまエニッドの誕生日でもあった。俺たちは彼女のために薔薇をたくさん買い、アンコール中俺がステージ上で彼女に渡したんだ。もうマルコーニ・レーダーでの仕事なんてどうでも良くなっていたよ。将来のための種が、ここでまかれたんだ。

Flyer for Girlschool’s gig in my hometown.


Girlschool were supported by AIIZ consisting of brothers Gary and Dave Owens, Tony Backhouse and future AC/DC and Dio drummer Simon Wright. I liked these guys and they were good. I shared a room with Gary in London when he was in Tytan but lost touch with him soon after; I’m still in touch with Simon. The Girlschool tour was punctuated by my first time to see The Kinks supported by The AK Band (a band who disappeared pretty much after the tour ended) and Whitesnake supported by Billy Squire.

ガールスクールのサポートは、ゲイリーとデイヴのオーウェンズ兄弟、トニー・バックハウス、そしてその後AC/DCやディオのドラマーになるサイモン・ライトからなるAIIZだった。俺は彼らが好きだったし、良いバンドだった。ゲイリーとは彼がタイタンにいるときにロンドンで部屋をシェアしていたけれど、その後すぐに連絡が途絶えた。サイモンとは今もやりとりをしているよ。ガールスクールのツアーは、ザ・キンクスとホワイトスネイクを初めて見るために、一旦中断。キンクスのサポートはAK Bandで、このバンドはこのツアーが終わるとわりとすぐに消えた。ホワイトスネイクのサポートはビリー・スクワイアだった。

In June I saw Judie Tzuke, Pink Floyd, Kraftwerk (they had built robots of themselves that played the encore while the members stood at the back pretending to be robots), The Tubes, The Teardrop Explodes and Bob Dylan. These bands either had no support act or are not worth mentioning apart from Judie who had ex-Barclay James Harvest keyboard player Woolly Wolstenholms Mæstoso warming up the Leicester audience. I thought they were good but I was in the minority and band became a footnote in BJH’s history very quickly. July I went to the Rainbow in London to see More, a band my fellow BGA member Ken and I had become friends with when they first started out (Ken and I also went to a riot of a birthday party of theirs the same month), Def Leppard supported by Lionheart and More and Rainbow whose special guests were Rose Tattoo. Rainbow was the Joe Lynn Turner/Don Airey line-up, they played three encores including Smoke On The Water and Ritchie trashed a guitar during one of them. That was a night to remember.

6月にはジュディ・ツーク、ピンク・フロイド、クラフトワーク(彼らは自分たちのロボットを作り、アンコールで演奏させ、自分たちは後ろになってロボットのふりをしていたよ)、ザ・チューブス、ザ・ティアドロップ・エクスプロード、ボブ・ディランを見た。これらのバンドにはサポート・アクトはいなかったか、いてもわざわざ言及する価値は無かったな。例外はジュディ。ツークで、元Barclay James Harvestのキーボードプレイヤー、Woolly Wolstenholms Mæstosoがレスターの観客を温めていた。良いバンドだとは思ったけれど、俺は少数派で、バンドはあっという間にBarclay James Harvestの歴史のおまけになってしまった。7月にはロンドンのレインボーに、モアを見に行った。俺とBGAの仲間ケンは、モアの結成時に彼らと友達になっていた。(ケンと俺は同じ月、彼らの誕生日パーティの暴動にも参加した。)デフ・レパードのサポートがライオンハートとモアで、レインボーはスペシャルゲストがローズ・タトゥーだったな。レインボーはジョー・リン・ターナーとドン・エイリーのラインナップで、「Smoke on the Water」を含む3曲のアンコールをやって、リッチーはその最中にギターをぶっ壊していた。忘れられない夜だよ。

July in Leicester was also the annual holiday and it was during this that I started to ask around about the possibilities of me working as a roadie. I tried a few bands but it was always to no avail or ‘yeah maybe…’ until I was offered the chance to be a rigger on the PA crew at the Heavy Metal Holocaust at Port Vale stadium on the 1st August. I was offered transport, accommodation and catering and if I did ok, would be considered by the PA company Audiolease to be taken on full time. Motorhead, Ozzy, Triumph, Mahogany Rush, Riot and Vardis was the line-up and I wanted to be a part of it so I took a couple of days off work and headed off to Port Vale on the Thursday morning. The stage was already built and the lighting rig was up. Eighteen 40’ trucks were lined up backstage and after a ten-minute briefing we started to unload the PA. I was teamed up with Mark Napier who I knew from the previous Girlschool tour and along with twenty others spent all morning building what would become the biggest PA ever assembled. We had every Midas Martin bass bin in the country and stacked them eight high by six wide on both sides of the stage. A five-way system, low-mids mids, high-mids and tops were added and for maximum effect we built PA in front at stage level as well. We worked into the night patching up the seemingly endless array of power amps with what must have been miles of speaker cables and once we got the all-clear that it was all working, retired to the hotel for a few well-earned beers. The next day was PA tuning, soundchecks* and me being a gofer (go for this…go for that…) and a word from the Stage Manager that my job tomorrow was to clear the stage of any drinks after each band and sweep any litter off – oh the glory! Back at the hotel in the bar, the Guinness Book of World Records turned up and confirmed it was the biggest and loudest PA ever built; Steve Sutherland, the owner of Audiolease put his credit card behind the bar for us.

7月のレスターは休みの時期で、その頃ローディとしての働き口がないかを聞いて回るようになっていた。いくつかのバンドに当たったけれど、いつもノーか多分なんていう答えで、最終的に8月1日、Port Vale Stadiumで行われたヘヴィメタル・ホロコーストでPA会社の仕事をやることになったんだ。運転や宿泊、ケータリングなんかの仕事をやってみて、きちんとやれればAudioleaseというPA会社に正式に雇ってもらえるということだった。ラインナップはモータヘッド、オジー、トライアンフ、マホガニー・ラッシュ、ライオット、そしてヴァルディス。ぜひ参加したかったから、仕事を数日休み、木曜の朝にPort Valeに向かった。ステージはすでに組み上げられていて、照明機器も取り付けられていた。18台のトラックがバックステージに並び、10分の簡単な説明の後、PA機材の搬入が始まった。俺はMark Napierとチームになった。彼のことは以前のガールスクールのツアーから知っていて、彼や他の20人と午前中いっぱい史上最大となるであろうPAを組み上げていった。国中のMidas Martinのベース・スピーカーを、ステージの両サイドに8x6個ずつ組み上げたよ。最大の効果が得られるよう、5ウェイ・システム、ロー・ミッド、ミッド、ハイ・ミッド、トップもステージ前に組み上げた。作業は夜まで続き、無限に続くパワーアンプと何マイルもあったに違いないスピーカーケーブルを敷き、すべてが動作すると確認できるとホテルへと撤収し、何本かビールを飲んだ。次の日はPAの調整、サウンドチェック*、そして俺は雑用。ステージマネージャーから、翌日の俺の仕事は各バンドの演奏が終わるごとにドリンクを片づけ、ごみをすべて掃くことだと告げられた。ホテルのバーにいると、今回のPAシステムがギネスの公式記録として世界最大、最もラウドなものだと認定されたとやっていた。Audioleaseのオーナー、Steve Sutherlandが俺たちのためにバーの代金を払ってくれたよ。

My first crew laminate.


Show day was a blur but I do remember watching every band from the side of the stage if not the entire sets. A few random memories are Ozzy playing with his son, Phil Taylor giving me a beer, Steve Zodiac from Vardis filling his hair with talcum powder and Lemmy standing on the stage on his own before the doors opened, surveying the land like a Roman General about to conquer it. I occasionally wandered out-front as well to see how loud it was - bloody loud! - and one time bumped into a few friends from Leicester who didn’t know I was working there; that was a good moment. Half an hour after Motorhead finished, we started to dismantle the PA which took until nearly 5am. After saying my goodbyes, tired and weary, I headed back to Leicester on an early train, my mind made up that this is now what I wanted to do. All I needed was for somebody to say yes.

ショウの日の記憶はおぼろげだけれど、セット全部ではないにしても各バンドをステージ袖から見たことは覚えている。いくつかのランダムな記憶としては、オジーが息子と一緒にプレイしたこと、フィル・テイラーがビールをくれたこと、ヴァルディスのSteve Zodiacが髪の毛にベビーパウダーをかけていたこと、レミーが開場前、まるでローマの将軍が侵略しようとしているかのように、ステージに一人で立って会場を視察していたことなどがある。俺も時々最前列に行ってどのくらいラウドなのか確認したけど、凄まじかったよ!俺がそこで働いているとは知らないレスターの友人と出くわすこともあった。楽しい瞬間だったな。モーターヘッドが終わって30分後、PAの解体を始めた。結局朝の5時までかかったよ。別れを告げ、疲れ果てて早朝の電車でレスターに戻った。これがやりたいことだと決意をし、あとは誰かが雇ってくれるのを待つだけだった。

Motorhead soundcheck. Note the PA across the front of the stage.

モーターヘッドのサウンドチェック。 ステージの正面にあるPAに注意してください

One side of the record breaking PA.


It took a while. I heard that I had done ok at Port Vale and that Steve Sutherland may be willing to employ me but the phone didn’t ring all week. Saturday arrived and I had already bought a ticket along with friends Ian Rawlings and Bruce Pegg to go to the Rock at the Bowl Festival in Milton Keynes. Ian and Bruce were in a local band called Manitou who I used to carry guitars in and out of the odd pub for and the festival was headlined by Thin Lizzy. It’s hard to imagine what the promoter was thinking now as it is probably the most eclectic collection of acts to ever feature at a UK Rock festival with The Ian Hunter Band, Judie Tzuke, Q-Tips and Trimmer & Jenkins. It wasn’t a great day, chilly and a bit of drizzle, Scott Gorham later told me it was one of the worst shows they ever did. One thing did happen to brighten up the night was that in between Hunter and Lizzy, the roadies (we presumed at the time) came onstage and mimed to Judas Priest’s Exciter, frantically running around the stage dressed in stripy pants with fake guitars and rainbow coloured drum kit, we never did figure out who it was or why they did it.

Port Valeでの俺の仕事ぶりは悪くなく、Steve Sutherlandが俺を雇うだろうとは聞いていたけれど、その週電話は鳴らなかった。土曜日が来て、俺はすでに友人のIan RawlingsとBruce Peggと共に、Milton Keynesのロック・アット・ザ・ボウル・フェスティヴァルのチケットを買っていた。IanとBruceはマニトウというローカル・バンドをやっていて、俺は彼らのギターを運んだりしていた。フェスティヴァルのヘッドライナーはシン・リジーだったよ。その他はジ・イアン・ハンター・バンド、ジュディ・ツーク、Q-ティップス、トリマー&ジェンキンスと、イギリスのロック・フェスティヴァルでもっともバラエティに富んだラインナップで、プロモーターが一体何を考えているのか想像するのは難しかった。肌寒くて、霧雨も降っていて、あまり良い日ではなかったな。後にスコット・ゴーハムは、この日は彼らがやったショウの中で最悪なものの一つだったと言っていたよ。この晩を明るくした一つの出来事は、ハンターとリジーの間にローディと思われる人たちがステージにあがり、ジューダス・プリーストの「エキサイター」に合わせてマイムをやったこと。ストライプのズボン、偽物のギター、虹色のドラムキットで激しくステージを走り回っていたよ。それが誰だったのか、なぜやったのかはわからず終いだったけれど。

Two weeks later and still no call. Bruce and I go the second Monsters of Rock Festival at Donnington. I didn’t go to the first and had regretted it ever since so I wasn’t going to miss this one. My mates More opened the show followed by Blackfoot, Slade, Blue Oyster Cult, Whitesnake and AC/DC. Tickets were £8.50 (¥1,700) and we had to pay £4.50 for the coach there and back. There was more rain at this one than Milton Keynes and there were sound problems, most notably for Blue Oyster Cult who was hit with a double-whammy, firstly of their drummer Albert Bouchard being sacked and flying back to the USA the day before and their roadie Rick Downey having to play the entire set and secondly, we could hardly hear them due to the appalling low volume and mix; a problem that seemed to have been rectified as soon as Whitesnake came on.

2週間経っても電話は来なかった。ブルースと俺はドニントンのモンスターズ・オブ・ロック・フェスティヴァルに行った。俺は一度目には行かず後悔していたから、これは見逃せなかった。友人のモアがオープニングをやり、それからブラックフット、スレイド、ブルー・オイスター・カルト、ホワイトスネイク、そしてAC/DCが続いた。チケットは8.5ポンド(1700円)で、そこまでのバス代が往復で4.5ポンドだった。Milton Keynesよりもさらに雨が降っていて、サウンドの問題もあった。一番露骨だったのはブルー・オイスター・カルトで、彼らにはダブルパンチの問題があった。まず、ドラムのAlbert Bouchardが前日に首になり、アメリカに帰っていたので、ローディのRick Downeyが代わりにプレイしなくてはならなかった。それから驚くほど音が小さくて、ほとんど聞こえやしなかったんだ。この問題は、ホワイトスネイクが出てくるとすぐに修正されたよ。

The following weekend was the three-day Reading Festival and by now I was a festival expert. I went down on the first train on the Friday morning, arriving in Reading around 10am. The BGA had arranged to meet in the campsite and John – who had designed the Girlschool winged logo – had promised he would do have a flag outside his tent so we could easily find him and we would use his tent as a rendezvous. Unfortunately, various factions of the ever-growing Girlschool army had had the same idea and it was about the fourth tent that I peered into when a familiar voice shouted ‘Glenn’s here!’ Over the day, pretty much all the original BGA arrived and we sat and smoked and drank, wandering in and out of the gig site to see whoever we wanted to see. I saw Telephone, Saga, Budgie and Steve Hackett and naturally, we all regrouped to see the headliner. I felt great pride in seeing the Girls up there, 25,000 or so Metal fans there to watch my friends play. The next day, a few BGA members left and a few more came, there was much merriment, drinking and smoking and we even ate something at some point. I also had a swim in the Thames. Gillan was superb and commanded the audience, Atomic Rooster filled in for Alex Harvey who had to cancel at the last minute and I saw every band on the Saturday but Sunday was a different story. Almost everyone I knew had gone home so after .38 Special I did the same. I arrived in Leicester about 7pm, had a bath and then Dad said ‘A bloke called Steve called you on Friday…’

続く週末は3日間のReading Festivalで、俺はすでにフェスのエキスパートになっていた。金曜日の朝、始発に乗り、10時頃にはレディングに到着。BGAとはキャンプサイトで会う手筈になっていて、ガールスクールの翼付きロゴをデザインしたジョンが、彼のテントにすぐに彼とわかるように旗を立てておくとのことだった。ところがガールスクールのファンが増えていたこともあって、同じことを考えている人間が何人もいた。やっと4つ目で彼のテントを見つけることができたよ。その日のうちにオリジナルのBGAのメンバーがほとんど到着し、吸って飲んで、会場をうろついて見たいバンドを見た。俺はテレフォン、サーガ、バッジー やスティーヴ・ハケットを見て、それからもちろんヘッドライナーの時はメンバー全員集まった。25,000人ほどのメタルファンが自分の友人、ガールスクールを見てるなんて、とても誇りに感じたよ。次の日、何人かのBGAのメンバーが帰り、また何人かが新たにやって来た。大騒ぎをし、飲みまくって吸いまくって、食事もした。テムズ川で泳ぎもしたな。ギランは素晴らしく、オーディエンスを見事に指揮していた。急遽キャンセルになったアレックス・ハーヴェイに代わってアトミック・ルースターがプレイした。土曜日のバンドはすべて見たけれど、日曜日はそうはならなかった。.38スペシャルの後、知り合いがほとんど帰ってしまったので、俺もそうすることにした。レスターには19時頃に着き、風呂に入ると親父が「スティーヴという人から金曜日に電話があったよ」と言った。

The line -up for Reading Festival 1981. The price of a three-day ticket was £14.50 or around ¥3,000.


I called Audiolease the next day. Steve wasn’t there but his brother, Tim, confirmed they’d like me to work at a festival in Leeds on the last weekend of September. My mind was made up, and I went into Marconi that day with a big smile on my face.


*We received a complaint from a woman about the noise who lived a mile and a half away (2.5km).


Copyright © 2021 Upp-tone music Co., Ltd. All Rights Reserved.